Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Salt Flats June 2016

So it was a Friday night and GV and I decided that it would be fun to try to go to the Salt Flats for the sunrise. I went over that evening and we got dinner and then I slept downstairs on a mattress in the basement. My phone was broken at this time so I set and alarm with my laptop, and the sound of my laptop wasn't on, so little did I know it was up to GV to wake us up at 3:15am which was not a hopeful task. But she managed to get up and come downstairs and wake me up and we headed out. It was surprisingly easy to stay awake on the way out there and as we drove along highway 80 going west towards Nevada we could see the light of the sun coming up from over the mountains. By the time we got there the sun hadn't risen but It was light enough that most of the stars were gone.

The Bonneville Salt flats is a place that is very different that anything I've seen before. Stretching for miles is just a white ground that seems to go on forever. The cool part is if you can make it while there's water sitting on top. Due to rain and I guess melting snow, there is about 2 or 3 inches of water that sits on the flats during certain times of the year. This leads to awesome pictures and the reflection of the mountains, clouds and sky. We got there in time for some great pictures as the sun was rising. It was definitely worth it, though the on the drive home, the whole only getting 3 hours of sleep hit us pretty hard.





No comments:

Post a Comment